Barangay Profile

ORIGIN

As per old folks of barangay, Cupang  derived its name from a tree in abundance in the vicinity during the early days. A resident mistakenly answered a Spanish soldier asking for the name of the olace but instead Cupang tree was given as answer. Other claims that the name Cupang  originated from a tree that was found earlier at the end of Manalaotao St. just beside talisay River. It is a land mark for people whose occupation was to sell bamboo and were temporarily stationed near the Cupang tree. Cupang is huge tree with its leaves that look like the leaves of fruit bearing tree locally called peas of kamias. Each trunk and branches are just soft which is pretty good and useful in the manufacture of ''bakya" a famous footwear in the early days with its factory just a stone throw from the now known Camacho Brigde and Novo Store formerly Cinema Fiesta. Its small branches were also used as firewood since it is easy to chop and very flammable. For this reason the latter generation found not a single tree standing on growing in the barangay and surrounding area. Today Cupang is our beloved barangay.



MOTHER BARANGAY

Before the Spanish arrived in Balanga will have their ownCupang name, a name that comes from a tree.

During the day, knowing the area for clues. Along the river-Talisay here in are signs that there was once a term used area.

A boat upstream on the river-Talisay Puerto Rivas has since passed through several distinct landmarks, such as the huge chunk of rock, or tree, or even color of sand.

In the case of Cupang, the signs here are full of Cupang found that at the end of Manalaotao Street, tends river. The tree is withered Cupang and eventually died fifty decades(1950s).

At the top of Cupang has another landmark tree, a large tree Calumpang. But the area is not known by the name Calumpang, But it was called Panilao, a village covered by Pilar.

There is another phenomenon with the upper of the Talisay River – tamarind trees. But this place is not called Sampalukor  Sampalukan. Recently, the area has been divided and demolished the house and called this Pio Del Mar.

Report no clear exactly when the Cupang established as a village. But a page of the book ‘Back-view’, it states that a RufinoValdecañas the Cabeza of Cupang in 1770, adult 56 years after becoming full pueblo Balanga.

If there was a Cabeza to Cupang such year, clearly identified the area as a village.

Followed ValdecañasTeodoro Ramirez as Cabeza in 1780. Then it was a Tranquilino Ramirez also became Cabeza in the year 1810.

There were some other names added to the list, as Angel Mendoza after the CupangCabeza became mayor of Balanga in 1904.

Other wereAlenjandroGuevarra, Isaac Guevarra, Miano Ramirez, Paul Malixi, Cyril and Raymundo Pineda Valdecañas.

Not argue the meeting if the Cupang declare that Puerto Rivas was first settled villages than Cupang.

But noted that Capitol, December 10,1971Cupang depart from the West and from Cupang as a village.

Established Cupang turn North on March 12,1987. Because it had a new name Mother village – Cupang Proper.

Despite all this, Cupang Proper still remained village center. This is because in Cupang Proper Church of Santo Cristo, as well as the Cupang Elementary School.

Through the political issues, the Cupang Proper still has the largest number of villages because it citizenz reaching 7,566, based on census 2000. The Cupang North has 2, 196 people and CupangWest is 1, 887, the population.

Right now is the only Cupan Proper has the largest marketplaces, Barangay Balanga throughout. It was opened in 2000, during former Captain Procopio Del Mundo. The latter wa replaced by J. Sanchez Sr. Anselmo as barangay captain.


CUPANG PROPER

Size:  1075.76 – 1194.88 Hectares

Limit: E – Talisay, River  W – Cataning

           N – CupangNorth  S – Cabog-cabog

Population: 7,566 (Census 2000)

Founded: 1770

Feast: Last Sunday, May

Patron:  Saints of Christ

School: Cupang Elementary School

               Bataan Maritime Institute

 

HEAD OF BARANGAY

 RufinoValdecañas (1770)

Teodoro Ramirez (1780)

Tranquilino Ramirez (1810)

Angel Mendoza

Isaac Guevarra

Pablo Malixi

Cirilo Pineda

RaymundoValdecañas

David Manlapid (1958)

Urbano Javier

Artemio Sanchez

Jose Guevarra

CelsoEscudero

Alfredo Guila (1972-1986)

Renato Sanchez (1986-1988)

EmilianoDizon Sr. (1988-1991)

ProcopiodelMundo (1991-2002)

Anselmo J. Sanchez Sr. (2002-2010)

 Norman D. Guila (2010 up to present time)

 WARDS

Naval, Naval Wakas, Jaena, JaenaWakas, Kapehan, San Vicente, Sityo Toto, Maria Lourdes, Saint Anne, Barcarse, Manalaotao, Del Pilar, Pio del Mar, Manang Subdivision, St. Francis, SityoDapdap, Santo Niño

 THE FIRST FAMILY ONE WHO PROMINENT CUPANG

Angel Mendoza

(Mayor, 1905 – 1907)

Fr. Mariano Self

(Priest, philanthropist)

Oscar Ramos Joson

(Scouts hero)

Artemio Sanchez

(Provincial Agriculturist)

Atty. Faustino V. Vigo

(Mayor, Vice-Governor)

Celso V. Valdecañas

(Mayor, 1972 -1979)

Delfin Alonzo

(Retired General Police)

Ben Alonzo

(Engineers, Board Member, 1988 – 1992)

 LOCATION-PROMENADE / ENTERTAINMENT

Parish of Santo Cristo

Cupang Elementary School

Barangay Public Market of Cupang

 

   GENERAL INFORMATION 

Province:                                                                                    Bataan
Congressional District:                                                              Second District
City/Municipality:                                                                       Balanga City
Barangay:                                                                                   Cupang Proper

Legal basis of creation:                                                             created 1771 (Balik-tanaw)
Land Area:                                                                                 10,757,556.70 (est)
Classification:                                                                             Urban

Total No. of Population:

Households:                                                                                2,445
Families:                                                                                     3,380
Male:                                                                                           3,620
Female:                                                                                       3,785
Total Registered Voters:                                                             5,568
Total No. of Precints:                                                                   28

Total No. of Income:

Local Source:                                                                               P 630,000.00
IRA:                                                                                              P 2,886,197.08
Others (Please Specify) PublicMarket, gravel and sand                P 620,000.00

Basic Utilities/Services:

Power Supply :                                                                              Peninsula Electric Cooperative
Water Supply:                                                                                Second Level
Transportation:                                                                             Tricycle
Telephone:                                                                                    PLDT and Digitel
Total No. of Households with Sanitary Toilet:                                2,376
Total No. of Households with Access to Potable Water:                 2,065
Total No. of Households with Access to Electricity:                        2,240

The Balanga City government announced on Friday it was planning to give incentive worth P5,000.00 to first 200 tricycle drivers who are applying for conversion of their units to LPG fuel.

City Mayor Jose Enrique S. Garcia III said the program is aimed at encouraging tricycle drivers to shift from gasoline to liquified petroleum gas (LPG) as fuel to their units. Garcia admitted though that the shift from diesel or gasoline to LPG will still be governed by government regulations for safety concerns.

“Ang sa atin paghahanda lang ito,” the mayor said.

On December 21, the LPG refilling station in Balanga City will be inaugurated. The station’s facilities were donated by the Liquigaz, an LPG company based in Mariveles town.

Garcia expects that by December a good number of tricycle units shall have been converted to LPG fuel.

“Hind bababa sa 300 tricycle units ang makoconvert sa loob ng isang taon,” he said.

The use of LPG fuel in tricycle and other motor vehicles is now being propagated in Metro Manila and other parts of the country as amove to lessen pollution.

Comments